Basketball Yoga – Top Ten Benefits
by Julie Westervelt
Are you basketball yoga curious? Have you been told by a friend, medical professional, coworker or relative that you should really try yoga? Chances are that ‘take a yoga class’ is on your to-do list right now! Here are practical reasons why taking a basketball yoga workshop is a good idea.
10. Repair damage that your body has endured on the court. Between practices and games, basketball can be hard on your body. Yoga can help restore and rejuvenate you.
9. Learn how to prevent common injuries. Joints a little unstable? Challenging your balance in yoga can strenghthen the stabilizer muscles in the ankles and knees.
8. Learn some of the physical and mental benefits from some standard yoga poses and sequences so you can take your health into your own hands and practice yoga when you have time.
7. Work done on the court can produce tight, inflexible muscles which can lead to dreaded injuries. Yoga improves elasticity. Learning and incorporating some simple stretching techniques can really pay off in the long term.
6. Yoga Workshops are generally topic-based. A basketball workshop will address breathing techniques, stretches and information specific to the bodies of basketball players.
5. A Basketball Yoga Workshop is a family event. Enjoy a shared experience with your family. Always a good idea!
4. Practicing yoga can provide quiet time and space away from external stimulation and noise. True champions spend quiet time thinking, planning and goal-setting.
3. Learn specific tools to become more alert and centered in your own body.
Improve your focus and concetration on and off the court.
2. Explore and expand range of motion in your joints. Training for an individual sport can limit joint capacity by working in routine movement patterns. Yoga can open up and stretch the body to counterpose all of the strain on the joints.
1. Yoga is one piece of the puzzle of a comprehensive training program for athletic and personal development. Taking a Basketball Yoga workhsop is a great place to start.
Austin Youth Basketball has developed an exciting opportunity to create a dedicated space to relax, stretch, go inward – Basketball Yoga. Basketball is a beautiful, dynamic sport but it does take a toll on the body. Come learn some basketball yoga and have fun!
(http://austinyouthbasketball NULL.leagueapps NULL.com/events/25160-basketball-yoga-workshop)