Austin Youth Basketball is growing again as our model for player development has accelerated the skills of thousands of Austin basketball players. Our mission is to deliver personalized player development training with Passion, Purpose and Power to Austin basketball players so that they grow both more competent and confident on and off the court.
Position: Basketball Trainer
Summary: Our basketball trainers need to be able to demonstrate, communicate, and motivate young basketball players as they pursue their goals. You have invested many years of sweat and learning into the game. We have a place for you to share all of that investment and it is not at a cubicle. Your experience is valued and you can make a real difference on Day 1 in this environment. No begging for a coaching job, recruiting “star” players, sitting at AAU tournaments, abusive coaches, or compliance and paperwork.
- Communicate the hows and whys of basketball skills. Share your expertise with the players and also in brief to parents.
- Demonstrate all skills at a high level. Position specific expertise welcome, but complete game trainers needed. Player development mindset necessary.
- Hold kids accountable to changing their game for the better in a positive manner. Be able to maintain a 3:1 positive to negative feedback ratio.
- Mentoring of our athletes. We are on their team, not the other way around. Advocate positive change, encourage failure as part of the learning curve, and really become a fan.
- Be passionate and deliver outstanding energy level to every single training session. Lead by example. If you are even slightly burnt out on the game or kids, this is not a fit for you.
- Overall accountability. Do what you say you are going to do. Every single time. Be invested in the game, the kids, fun and training. PASSION! If you are challenged in the area of attendance, being on time, or accountability… this is not a fit for you.
- Lead. We are seeking a leader who works well with others while assisting, but is also comfortable leading. Specifically comfortable leading ages 8-21.
- Role modeling. Very few of our players (if any) are going to the NBA. Can you help model and teach basketball to life lessons?
- Be an Austin Youth Basketball Ambassador. We are looking for people who want to be part of the cure, not part of the cancer. Respect competitors, coaches, parents and players at all times.
- Experience as a college or pro basketball player with an endorsement from your coach.
- Expertise in teaching of fundamentals. If you somehow made it to college basketball with a bad rotation or shooting layups off the wrong foot… this may not be a fit.
- Live near South Austin or Dripping Springs.
- Ability to pass an FBI background check in addition to our reference and background check.
- Proven track record of accountability and attendance. This is a mission. Motivation should come from within.
- General understanding of mental and physical basketball strength and conditioning training.
- General understanding of basketball nutrition and injury prevention.
- Ability to train on Monday & Thursday nights and Saturday mornings.
- Comfort leading in a small group training, academy, and a camp environment.
- Extrovert personality in the training environment. You can be a hermit outside of the gym, but we are looking for the ability to connect with and energize basketball players.
- College degree.
Potential Bonus Qualifications:
- Kinesiology, Exercise Science or Coaching degree.
- Personal trainer certification.
- Basketball coaching experience, particularly focused on player development.
- Experience in basketball video production.
- Experience writing on basketball player development with sound writing style.
- Entrepreneurial personality. The driven go-getter will receive greater rewards while making a bigger impact in this position.
- Live near South Austin or Dripping Springs.
- Contact base or existing training clientele in the area. Connectivity.
- Marketing / sales background, WordPress knowledge or a special skill to continue to help us grow our impact and mission.
- The vast majority of our training occurs in Southwest Austin and Dripping Springs. We may expand our reach moving forward but our clients currently travel from Dallas, Marble Falls, Smithville and Killeen and Wimberley to see us.
- If you have the ability to expand our reach north because of a gymnasium connection, etc. we can discuss that. Our main focus is South and our clients value us enough to make the trip.
Type of Position:
- This is an independent contractor position and most likely would fall into the part time category. We do not demand you find clientele. This is unlike the current trend at gyms where you are forced to procure customers and then give the gym a big split. We have the clientele. For the driven person, there will be benefits if they connect with more basketball players. The right person could build a very promising full time career out of this as well.
- There will be a wage guarantee per training day. Wages will vary begin at $15 an hour and move to $20 per hour by month 2 depending upon experience, performance and profit level on a given training day. For an amazing trainer who is also a rainmaker, they can make more money than these rates over time (up to $40 per hour). This can be discussed in greater detail if you should qualify for an interview. The pay for camps is lower… between $9 and $11 per hour. There are no benefits available at this time other than the reward of helping young people and working out while you get paid.
- We can offer you training, a fun environment, and an alliance to help you build your career. We have curriculum tools available for those who are ready to learn and share.
Company You Will Keep:
- Austin Youth Basketball is Austin’s premiere player development training program. We do not have teams. We have trained thousands of players in Austin and beyond in our four years of existence in Texas. We have been recommended by hundreds of Austin families, NBA players, WNBA players, NBA scouts, and coaches at all levels. We believe in servant leadership, learning, and eliminating fear of failure from the Austin basketball scene.
- You will report directly to the Founder and Director of Player Development – Chris Corbett. Chris played at the University of Maine at Fort Kent, has trained with and played with with hundreds of NBA players and serves as an owner/web strategist for BasketballHQ.com (http://basketballhq NULL.com/) which receives over 60,000 web visits per month. He is the founder of BuzzworthyBasketballMarketing.com (http://buzzworthybasketballmarketing NULL.com/) which helps basketball trainers grow their businesses in Tampa, Dallas, Denver, Miami and the rest of the United States. He is also the founder of BasketballTrainer.com (http://basketballtrainer NULL.com/) which serves to connect ambitious basketball families to qualified basketball trainers. He serves as the basketball advisor to Coachtube.com (https://coachtube NULL.com/courses/basketball) where young athletes can learn on demand from expert coaches in their chosen sports thru Coachtube’s online platform.
- The players we support range from college players to kids who struggle to make a middle school team. If they are passionate, hard working, and open to change, we will work with them. If they have all the answers, we explain that paying us would be a waste of their money. We offer elite instruction to passionate young players of varying skill levels.
- Our philosophy is to align our goals with those of our clients and eliminate road blocks. We don’t do meetings (maybe one per year,) spreadsheets or busy work. We bust our tails doing what we love: sharing the game with great kids. We believe in doing the right thing. We keep things simple AND happy.
- Our trainers become rock stars in their community. Trips to HEB, the movies etc. can be a bit longer as the right person will be highly appreciated and valued. Texts from parents and emails from families expressing gratitude will become an every day occurrence.
Interested? Next Steps:
Please follow the order as outlined below:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org an intro on why you would be a great fit. Please include either a resume or linkedinprofile. References, work samples, video links, writing samples etc. all welcome. Do not call us at this time.
- Confirm in that email that you can work the schedule as outlined above.
- Qualified applicants will be contacted within 7 days of receipt of that email. We cannot guarantee response to all parties as this time of year is extremely busy for us
- We will schedule a one on one coffee meeting in South Austin for those qualified applicants. Bring your questions and ideas. We like stakeholders!
- We will then take the top applicants of the coffee meetings and schedule working interviews. You will be paid for your time at that session to cover your expenses. Pay will be $10 an hour for that two hour working interview. We do this as a small token of respect for your time, but not to signify the beginning of a working relationship.
- We currently have enough students to warrant at least one more trainer, and possibly two. After evaluating our pool of applicants we will ask for background checks. We plan to make decisions quickly but will not hire the wrong person just to “fill a spot.”
Thank you so much for your interest. Please share this with any contacts or on social media. If you are not a perfect fit, but want to express your interest, please let me know that in your intro. We have a people driven mission and will keep lesser qualified people in mind for internships and other openings. We are growing rapidly and while this position is our first priority, it is not our only opening moving forward.