Here are some of the skills you should be working on this summer in general terms:
- Defensive sliding
- Turning players rather than shadowing them
- Man and ball awareness at all times with guns up wehn guarding off the ball players
- Shooting off the catch in one second or less
- Shooting off the dribble
- Pound 1-2 Pullup Jumpers
- Catching at NBA three line, head fake and pullup behind three
- Finishing moves your coach favors and from places on the court you are likely to be
- 6 finishing moves to inspire confidence in you
- 3 Ballhandling moves and 3 counters
- Become expert at basics of passing including shootable passes
- Creating buckets with drive and kick
- Creating buckets with drive and dish
- The ball reversal pass… the pass before the assist or the hockey assist pass
- Reducing turnovers with techniques and mindset
1. Training Groups
- We have monthly training avail. Small groups and privates. $180 per month for once a week, $320 for twice a week. Privates are $75 per hour. Training will likely be filled by Aug 1 thru Nov 1, so don’t wait too long to secure a spot.
- If you wish for a combination of training (less personalized), and also competition and fun… our camps might be perfect for you. Check out our camps here: http://www.austinyouthbasketball.com/austin-basketball-camp-schedule/.
- We also wrote an ebook to help you look at other camp options and the different types of camps available. Access the E-book here: http://www.austinyouthbasketball.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/How-To-Choose-A-Basketball-Camp-E-book.pdf
App (Free for Stealth, Fierce and Austin Youth Basketball Monthly Training Clients)
- I am a co-owner of BasketballHQ.com… which has produced a training app for players. All the drills are taught by college or pro coaches and demonstrated by college or pro players. The drills are not sexy… they just work. The app can be customized by me for our players to some extent so if you are interested check out this video:
- Email me with the email address of the device that your or your player will use
- Want some sample drills: check out the free youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWo0anp1BWDbM8PxvuQwF2g
Strength Training – Bodyweight
Strength Training Weight Room
Speed & Agility
Vertical Leap and Explosiveness
My Choice For A Personal Trainer:
Courses I endorse or collaborated on:
1.Reading List Recommendations:
- Stuff You Should Know by Dick Devenzio
- Practical Modern Basketball by John Wooden
- Toughness by Jay Bilas
2. Play Pickup – I can’t emphasize this enough. We started this program for those who cannot find quality pickup programs: http://www.austinyouthbasketball.com/the-real-run-basketball-program/
3. Play AAU/Select Basketball and play with intention.
4. For girls I feel it is very important to play with boys. And for all players… try to play above the level you are accustomed to.
5. Open Gyms at your school… do not fall in the same social pecking order as your regular season. This is a time to expand your game, not try to fit in. That does not mean be selfish… but it means that you should add a jump hook to your drop step. You should extend your shooting range. You should learn to get into the paint and dish. To work on ballhawking even though you might get beat. Expand your mind, game and growth.
Wellness & Nutrition